- This course has passed.
Ski Mont Blanc – With Spring Ski Summits
May 6 - May 15
Mont Blanc. The highest mountain in Western Europe and a true challenge for the dedicated ski mountaineer. A magnificent objective…for those with the skills to do it. Late spring often provides the best snow conditions for a ski ascent of the mountain and we offer 2 different warm up options in early-mid May, perhaps the best time of year for this high altitude spring objective. This Spring Ski Summits build up programme offers the chance to ski 4 x other 4000m peaks and thus hopefully ski 5 x 4000m peaks during the course!
This is the toughest ski course we do and is only suitable for those with high levels of fitness, ski ability and some mountaineering experience. We aim to climb the Mountain via the ‘Arete Royale’ on the Dome du Gouter and classic Bosses Ridge to the summit. The ski descent back to Chamonix is huge and technically interesting. A great day of skiing, but not for the faint hearted….
- Ski Mont Blanc 4810m
- Ski The Breithorn, Alphubel, Strahlhorn & Signalkuppe – All big 4000ers in the Swiss Valais –
- Enjoy a memorable & sociable week of ski mountaineering spending up to 4 nights in mountain huts and meeting some other like minded ski mountaineers along the way
- Refine ski mountaineering skills in the training period and refresh crampon and ice axe technique
- Increase speed and efficiency in techniques and transitions for the long & tough summit day
- Prepare you for further tough ski mountaineering expeditions
Fitness, Ski & Mountaineering Skills Required
- Strong, confident and technically competent skier able to deal with variable off-piste snow conditions on very steep slopes up to 45 degrees on the north face. An ability to maneuver skis around crevasses with precision and ski swiftly yet with control under seracs. An ability to do all this after a long, tough and tiring ascent at altitude.
- A high level of fitness, stamina and mental toughness is required for the c. 10-12 hour summit day as well as good organisation of equipment and efficient transitions with your ski gear whilst on the mountain.
- Some mountaineering experience is required and whilst this does not need to be on steep and difficult ground you should have some cramponing experience; a head for heights and the ability to concentrate and climb carefully on steep snow for around 1.5 hours between breaks.
Ski Mont Blanc – 3 Day Summit Phase + Build Up Course Options
As an excellent build up to the summit phase, and inspiring programme in its own right, we offer either our 5 day Ski Summits programme or 3 day Ski Gran Paradiso course, with 2 and 1 days off in-between each programme respectively.
This booking is for the 5 Day Ski Summits Programme – 6-10th May & then 3 day Mont Blanc summit programme 13-15 May.
The guiding ratio is Max 1:4 for the ski summits programme and Max 1:2 for the ski summits programme.