- This course has passed.
Matterhorn Training Weekend – Mont Blanc Massif – July 2019
July 29 - July 30
This alpine based Matterhorn training course follows on from our UK based Snowdonia & Scottish Highlands weekends. The idea is to enjoy a couple of good alpine mountaineering routes / peaks whilst simultaneously training in the essential movement skills on different types of terrain including rock scrambling, big boot rock climbing and mixed terrain.
Our Plan A schedule features a night in a high altitude mountain hut, the Rifugio Torino, on the Italian side of the Mont Blanc Massif, and a perfect base camp for rapidly accessing high quality alpine mountaineering routes from the grade of PD-AD, for example the Traverse of the Aiguilles d’Entreves, Ascent of the Tour Ronde, Traverse of the Aiguilles Marbrees etc.
Thus a superb 2 day programme allows you to make the most of the 1:2 guiding ratio and get on to some technical terrain providing some short sections which can be compared with the Hornli Ridge on the Matterhorn. Lots of relevant skills can be covered including having and managing mountaineering equipment well suited to the ascent of the Matterhorn, managing the technical & physical challenges of that ascent as well as your own acclimatisation issues and preparing accordingly.
An action packed week-end and great opportunity to build skills whilst doing lots of good mountaineering in a team of other like minded guests.
Some previous mountaineering experience is required for this course and those looking for an intro experience should check out our Chamonix Alpine Intro course. This programme is for folk who have already used crampons, done some good rocky scrambling and at least tried some rock climbing in the past. A good fitness level is required for alpine mountaineering days 5 – 7 hours in duration at high altitude. It would be ideal if folk have also had a day or so acclimatising around the Chamonix Valley / Mont Blanc Massif prior to this course.
2019 Price – £595.00
Maximum Ratio of 1 Guide To 2 Guests.
What’s Included in the Price?
Our courses are priced on a ‘guiding only’ basis which means you pay the exact cost price for all other expenses like hotels, mountain huts and lift passes.
- 2 full days mountain guiding with an IFMGA Mountain Guide
- Transport during the course including travel in the Chamonix valley and across to the Italian side of the Mt Blanc Massif
- Management of the trip / itinerary and booking of all mountain huts
- Discounted equipment hire prices
What’s not Included & Other Additional Expenses?
- Mountain Lifts: Skyway C. 50 euros.
- Chamonix accommodation. Prices start from camping at C.10 euros per night, Bunkhouse for C.20 euros per night and hotel accommodation from around 40-50 euros upwards. Please see our Chamonix Accommodation notes.
- Mountain Hut for you and the Guide. Allow about 75 euros per night for dinner, bed & breakfast and your part share in the same for the Guide (at a heavily reduced rate). The best way to deal with these expenses is to make a communal group ‘kitty’ which you contribute to and all expenses are paid out of.
- Additional snacks, drinks, lunch etc
- Transfers to Chamonix (C. 35 euros for single journey from Geneva Airport)
- Mountaineering equipment. Check the kit list above
- Insurance suitable for alpine mountaineering in Europe
- Any other expenses