- This course has passed.
Grand St Bernard Ski Touring Weekend – March 2019
March 16 - March 17
These are dynamic weekends designed to give you an action packed, fun and informative insight into the magical world of ski touring. We run 4 separate weekends in January, February, March & April and each course is designed to offer consolidation and progression from the previous one. Doing all 4 weekends would give a great opportunity to learn, practice and develop your ski touring skills & experience whilst doing some inspiring ski journeys in 4 superb different locations.
In March the spring touring season is underway and the weekend is based at the remarkable Grand St. Bernard Monastery run by the hospitable monks. This gives a great opportunity to explore this classic ski touring area on the Swiss – Italian Alpine border.
Our March weekend increases the physical factor in touring on the Jan and Feb weekends and the first day has nearly 1000m of ascent. This is also an opportunity to tour in the beautiful Western Swiss Valais Alps, with a remarkable base camp of the working monastery at the Hospice Grand St Bernard. This is completely away from any resorts or lifts and provides a classic alpine touring weekend.
March Alpine Ski Touring Weekend – Course Aims
- Enjoy 2 days ski touring in the Alps (3 on the April long weekend course)
- Do some inspiring backcountry journeys with a mix of lift and skinning acces, find the best snow possible and do some memorable turns and fresh tracks
- Complete practical introductory training in the essential skills for ski touring – then consolidate and refine these skills on the progression spring weekends
- Spend an enjoyable night in a mountain hut (apart from the Jan weekend) and become more familiar with using hut to prepare for bigger hut to hut tours in future
- Spend a sociable weekend in the mountains and meet other like minded skiers
Each of our intro touring weekends blend a great mix of satisfying ascents on skins, fun & remote off piste skiing and completing some fine journeys whilst undertaking some important training along the way…
In March this weekend could also provide a great warm up for our Verbier – Zermatt Haute Route the following week.