- This course has passed.
Climb The Weissmies 4017m – August 2019
August 19 - August 21
Whilst, at 4017m the Weissmies only just makes it into the exclusive club of Alpine 4000m peaks, it has many more attributes to recommend an ascent than just its altitude…
The ascent of the Weissmies is a classic high alpine route, with enjoyable scrambling among some of the Giants of the Swiss Alps. This 3 day course provides is suitable for climbers with good fitness and some basic mountaineering experience and is a great progression for higher or more technical alpine ascents like the Matterhorn and Mont Blanc.
Climb the Weissmies, Featuring…
- Ascents of two fine Swiss alpine peaks including the 4017m Weissmeis & 3363m Mittelrück
- Rocky mountain scrambling in ascent & descent along with a very fine snowy & narrow summit ridge
- 2 nights spent in a lovely Swiss mountain hut. Superb location, hospitable staff, good Swiss mountain food
- Quality alpine mountaineering training
- Great progression (and acclimatisation) towards climbing other 4000m peaks including Mont Blanc & the Matterhorn
- Meet other like minded climbers for a sociable 3 day trip in the high mountains
- An action packed long alpine weekend easily done from Geneva Airport & transfer to Chamonix
- The option of returning to Chamonix at the end of the course or catching a train direct to Geneva from Martigny station
Required Fitness and Experience Levels
Some previous mountaineering experience is required for the traverse of the Weissmies. Those who have never worn crampons before should investigate our Chamonix Alpine Intro and Climb the Gran Paradiso courses or arrange some private guiding & mountaineering training prior to the course.
Both ascents involve some rocky / mixed scrambling and somewhat narrow and exposed summit ridges so folk should have a head for heights, although the actual difficulty level is quite low. Steep snow must be negotiated efficiently in descent which is why some prior experience with crampons is necessary.