- This course has passed.
Climb Gran Paradiso – Late September 2019
September 29, 2019 - October 1, 2019
The Gran Paradiso (4061m) is the highest mountain entirely within Italy and a constant snowy companion on the southern skyline from the Mont Blanc Massif. Lying in the beautiful Paradiso National Park this is a delightful high mountain area, set above the Italian Val d’Aosta and enjoying a fine southern alpine climate. In early summer, vibrantly coloured wild flowers and jostling Ibex give a spring in the step for the pleasant walk up to the hospitable & lively Italian mountain hut from where the summit climb begins…
- Spend an enjoyable long weekend in the high alpine mountains & climb the Gran Paradiso (4061m)
- Complete some quality alpine training & develop your mountaineering, glacier travel & rope work skills
- Visit 2 different parts of the superb Italian Alps with an interesting journey down the Val d’Aosta
- Have a fun & sociable long weekend with like minded people, spending a couple of nights in hospitable mountain huts – The Rifugio Torino on the Italian flank of Monte Bianco will be open and staffed whilst the winter room at Rifugio Chabod provides a more remote and rustic experience and the need to carry up the teams own food supplies…
- Warm up, train & acclimatise for climbing Mont Blanc if you take the option for the 3 day Mont Blanc summit extension
Early Autumn – A Fantastic Time To Be In The Gran Paradiso Park…
Although climbing in autumn is tougher with cooler temperatures, more fresh snow and often a highly crevassed glacier it has it’s own rewards. The mountain is often cool & calm and the summit queues are massively reduced. The trail breaking can be hard work but travel through a snowy & pristine high mountain atmosphere more than makes up for it. A night in a winter room at the mountain hut can also present a more rustic alternative to the fully serviced and busy huts of high summer.
There is also the opportunity, having acclimatised and warmed up on the Paradiso, to join our Climb Mont Blanc summit team after this course.