- This course has passed.
Off Piste Performance Intro Ski Touring Weekend
February 9, 2019 - February 10, 2019
This course is run by our friends at Off Piste Performance and will be run by IFMGA Mountain Guide, Rob Jarvis allowing a flexible programme for the 2 days. Our Introduction to Ski Touring will make best use of the prevailing snow and weather conditions, but is likely to include:
- How to use skins, bindings and ski crampons effectively.
- How to interpret avalanche and weather forecasts alongside actual mountain snow conditions and decide where to ski safe and good terrain accordingly.
- How to become highly skilled in the use of your essential avalanche equipment.
- How to ski on a glacier.
- Basic navigation skills.
The course is based from the Chamonix Valley. It may be that you travel to other venues on a daily basis, depending on the current conditions. Possible venues are: Le Tour, Aiguilles Rouge, Les Contamines and the Aosta Valley in Italy.
The most important pre-requisite for this course is that you are keen to try new things and prepared to have a go. Ideally you will have put in some mileage in the off-piste and be able to “cope” in the majority of off-piste conditions. This course is designed for those that have done no, or minimal, ski touring. It may be that you have done quite a bit of touring as part of a guided group, and are looking to develop your skills to tour as part of an unguided independent group. You should be physically fit and be able to cope with a full day on the hill, which may involve ascending for around 3 hours.
If you are not sure if its the course for you email giving more details of what you have done so far.
Maximum 6 people
The course involves 2 full days, meeting around 8.30 /9am and finishing between 4 and 5pm.
Additional costs not included in price
- Lift pass ( we recommend buying lift passes on a daily basis for this course)
- Insurance (all clients must have their own insurance for skiing off-piste and ski touring))
- Equipment Hire (transceiver, shovel and probe are required for this course)
You can book direct with Off Piste Performance or equally with us via the link below.