- This course has passed.
Chamonix Intro Ski Touring Week – Feb 2019
February 4 - February 8
Ski touring provides a fantastic way of exploring the backcountry and enjoying some creative ski journeys and adventures away from the resorts. For those with some off piste ski experience and reasonable fitness this action packed 5 day course provides the inspiration & information to add a whole new dimension to enjoying your ski trips.
The ski tourer is able to mix the fun of off-piste skiing whilst making a journey through the magical & remote environment of the mountaineer. On this practical 5 day introductory course we aim to train you in the essential skills required for smoothly completing some classic ski tours and becoming a good trained member of a back-country ski team in the process.
- Provide high quality training so that you develop the skills for ski touring safely, enjoyably and efficiently.
- Complete some enjoyable, short & medium length ski tours in & around the Mont Blanc Massif
- Explore the superb variety of venues accessible from a base in the Chamonix Valley, including the potential to visit the nearby French Aravis, Italian Val d’Aosta or Swiss Valais Alps, which often offer different weather and conditions.
- Prepare you for further off-piste and ski touring adventures either with a Guide or independently (e.g Skiing The Haute Route)
- Spend an enjoyable night in a mountain hut allowing a superb experience of a 2 day ski touring expedition.
- Have a fun & sociable week & meet up with other like minded ski touring folk who you may be able to ski with in the future.
From our base in the Chamonix valley we can use the extensive range of nearby lifts and high mountain roads to access a variety of styles of ski touring terrain. The start of the week will focus on training and becoming efficient with the fundamental basics like using your skins & bindings, how to skin efficiently and enjoyably and understanding the context and use of your avalanche safety equipment.