Becoming An Alpinist
July 22 - July 26
On this progressive alpine training course we aim to tackle some of Chamonix’s classic moderate alpine routes in a style that will offer you high quality mountaineering training along the way. This course is ideally suited to those with some existing rock climbing and winter mountaineering experience and who would like to develop these existing skills and become independent ‘Alpinists’.
With a maximum ratio of 1 Mountain Guide to 3 students this course aims to deliver high quality practical training whilst tackling some interesting alpine terrain (up to C. AD-) and practicing new skills in a high alpine context along the way. Training & development is the emphasis of this course thus we generally won’t be tackling long & hard Grande Courses…during the course….but hopefully in the future having done it!
- Develop your existing mountaineering & rock climbing skill & experience with a view to progressing as an Alpinist
- Spend 5 enjoyable days climbing, mountaineering & training around the Mont Blanc Massif
- Visit a good variety of the classic mountain venues of the Chamonix Valley
- Meet some other like minded alpine mountaineers
- Have a fun & sociable week with 1 night spent in a high mountain hut
Fitness and Experience Levels Required
This course is for people who already have some rock climbing experience, have used crampons and an ice axe before and want to develop alpine mountaineering skills. To get the most out of the training and suggested routes you will be able to second up to F5b (C. UK VS) and you will also need to be physically very fit and able to complete 5 full mountain days (eg. 6-8 hours in duration).