A near perfect day of alpine summer weather around the Mont Blanc Massif today and we had teams enjoying various different mountain activities. There was a good re-freeze up the Torino Hut this morning and teams made the most of this for early morning ascents of the Tour Ronde, Aiguille d’Entreves and teams were also heading up to the Dent du Geant area, although there has been a rock fall on the approach to that route quite recently.
The conditions around the Col du Geant – Skyway – Vallée Blanche area have been transformed from feeling like early summer to feeling like late summer after the 2 weeks of heatwave…although it was actually pretty chilly in the wind today on the Entreves border patrol! The glacier is holding up ok and whilst crevasses are starting to creak they are not yet yawning! However anything rocky, or near rock has been well stripped back with lots of rubble and rock fall exposed. Likewise, the good quality rock has been in great condition for high altitude rock climbing!
Our teams also enjoyed near perfect conditions for middle mountain rock climbing on the Brevent classics Frison Roche (6a) and Label Virginie (5c) with a lot more snow also now removed from the Brevent / Plan praz area although there are still some big patches particularly on the north side higher up.
Major snow patches are still in evidence higher up on the Aravis too including on the normal route on Pointe Percee, so it’s not yet in the high summer ‘trainers alpinism’ mode that many folk head over that way for. There is very limited snow on the paths above Mayeres and we also completed the brilliant varied mountain walk from Chalet Mayeres to Chalet Doran via the superb Col de Doran.
We also still have a few places available on this summers alpine mountaineering courses…
- 1 place available on our Becoming An Alpinist Course, 22-26 July
- 2 places available on our Climb The Weissmeis course 1-3 September
- 2 places available on our Climb The Gran Paradiso course, 1-3 September
- 2 places available on our Autumn Climb The Gran Paradiso course, 29 September – 1st October
- We have places available on both our Matterhorn & Mont Blanc training weekends in Snowdonia October 12-13, 2019
And, for summer 2020 courses….
- Places available on our late June Weissmies & Mont Blanc course combination